Ask for Quote
Ask for Quote

Get FREE answer to your questions

Monday, 19 December 2011 15:05

Feeling Sick during Festive- “Christmas Tree” could be a Reason!!!

Rate this item
(2 votes)

christmas_treeThe mould growing on the trees can make you ill, Christmas trees could be to blame for a range of health complaints over the festive season- new study.

If you are not feeling ill or sick during the festive of Christmas, just don’t blame it to weather or season; the cause of your illness may be a Christmas Tree. Researchers had found that the mould present on the Christmas tree – The traditional centrepiece, could trigger "Christmas Tree Syndrome" that represents  number of health problems such as coughing, wheezing, lethargy etc. The mould occurs on the trees naturally, but thrives in the warm conditions of a well-heated home at Christmas. The spores of mould when breathe in, can make some sick says scientist from Upstate Medical University, part of the State University of New York.

Scientist carried out research after observing a peak in respiratory illnesses in the weeks either side of December 25.The team analysed clippings from 28 Christmas trees including needles and bark, from a range of species, and found 53 cases of mould.
Of these, 70 per cent can cause symptoms including itchy noses, watery eyes, coughing, shortness of breath, chest pains, sinus congestion, feelings of fatigue and problems sleeping. Scientist warn that  that some of them can even lead to long term lung disease including bronchitis and pneumonia.

Researcher’s view and suggestion to enjoy Christmas without risking Your Health

Dr Lawrence Kurlandsky, who led the research, said he had treated patients where there was a clear link between their illness and their Christmas tree."I have had patients where the association between illness and the presence of a Christmas tree seem to be pretty clear cut.
Dr Lawrence Kurlandsky, said, “Firstly, hose down your tree in the garden and leave it to dry before bringing it inside, then, to further reduce your chance, remove it swiftly after Christmas Day, long before the traditional Twelfth Night.”
"I explain that there are nicer places to be on Christmas Eve than seeing the doctor and to perhaps just not have a tree or have an artificial one."

The team, writing in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, also reported another study which found that after a Christmas tree has been on display for a fortnight, the number of airborne mould spores increases from 800 per 35 cubic feet to 5,000.

Have a Happy and Healthy Christmas…

Related reading,

How to Stay calm and Enjoy the Holidays !!!

News source:


Read 12765 times Last modified on Monday, 19 December 2011 15:30

Leave a comment

Comments can be moderated to keep the conversation civil and respectful. Thank You

ask your question

S5 Box

Login Form

New Member Register Here

Fields marked with (*) are required.