Get FREE answer to your questions
The Hearing test or assessment (audiometry exam) is performed by an audiologist (specialist to diagnose hearing problem) to know the ability of a person to hear sounds. It helps to detect or monitor hearing loss of a person and whether he needs hearing device or not.
Preparation for the test
No special preparation is required
During the process
- Usually the initial screening may take about 10 min and a detailed audiometry may take up to 1hour.
- The audiologist will ask about the hearing problems and examine external ears, ear canal to check any deformities ,infection and\or cerumen plugging(ear wax) with the help of otoscope (instrument equipped with a light and magnifying lens)
- The need of the audiogram will be evaluated by specific procedures which may involve blocking one ear at a time and checking ability of a person to hear whispers, spoken words or the very soft sound of watch.
- Audiologist may use tuning fork to test the ability to hear by air conduction. In addition to it to check the air conduction patient has to wear earphones attached to the audiometer.
- Audiometry provides a more precise measurement of hearing. To test air conduction, you wear earphones attached to the audiometer( a device that sends sounds of different volumes and pitches to one ear at a time) patient may be asked to respond by raising hand, pressing button or other indication each time on hearing sound.
- The minimum intensity of volume required to hear each tone is graphed, this graph is known as audiograph. A bond oscillator (a type of attachment) is placed against the bone behind each ear to know the bone conduction
Uses of audiometry
The hearing assessment test (audiometry) is performed to detect the hearing loss at an early stage. It is also helpful to evaluate the cause of hearing loss including trauma, chronic ear infections, disease of the inner ear, inherited conditions, occupational hearing loss and ruptured eardrum etc.
Select the destination where you can communicate and understand the language to avoid the complication due to language problems
The examination doesn’t require hospitalization or anesthesia, so travelers can return back on the same day. However medical tourist is advised to stay few days more to plan further treatment options if required. Patient may refer to ear specialist or need additional testing. They may need to make arrangement for hearing device as well.