Get FREE answer to your questions
Hair transplantation is a surgical technique recommended to treat hair loss or baldness. The procedure involves taking-off a skin (skin draft) containing hair follicles from the donor location of the body after which it is implanted to the bald spot or the recipient site. As per the surveyed data, approximately 50,000 men worldwide receive hair transplants each year. The modern hair transplant techniques began in Japan during 1930s. It is predicted that half of all men are affected with male – pattern hair loss and 30-40% of all women population are subjected to female-pattern hair loss.
Necessity of Hair Transplantation
The hair transplantation is suggested when patients have stopped hair growth totally that is known as alopecia. These patients have unnatural amount of hair loss, thinning of hair or uneven bald spots. The reasons which disturbs the hair growth includes
- Cicatricial alopecia- Scarring alopecia
- Traction alopecia
- Androgenic alopecia
- Traumatic alopecia
- Male pattern alopecia
Benefits of Hair Transplantation
- The successful hair transplantation boosts the overall self-esteem and confidence of the patient, since they gain an appealing and youthful appearance
- The recovery time being quick with the latest hair transplant technologies, there is no need for hospital stay
- The transplanted hair will look and act as a typical hair and hence the patient may maintain their regular hair style and cut.
- The procedure is relatively less painful
Risk and Complications associated with Hair Transplantation
- Bleeding and infection
- Scarring may occur at the donor or recipient sites
- poor hair growth could be possible
- Numbness in the site of transplantation
- Cyst formation may take place
- Hair transplantation guarantee no full-stop to future balding
- Hair may vanish around the transplanted area undesirably forming new bald patches which will again need a transplantation surgery
Preparation before Hair Transplantation
- Blood analysis is performed
- Urinalysis may be conducted before surgery
- Total physical examination may be required
- A week before the tentative schedule of surgery, consult the doctor regarding the continuation or discontinuation of your list of medicines
- Notify smoking or alcohol consuming habit to the surgeon
- Report any evidence of allergy
- Apply for leave at work place and arrange for an assistant at home
Hair Transplantation after care
- After the surgery is over, the treated patient may need to have-on a surgical dressing above the scalp for 1-2 days
Special precautions following the surgery:
- Take care, not to scrape-off the scabs that are produced at the graft sites
- Take medication without fail as per the instruction of the surgeon
- Energy demanding activities are to be evaded for the first few days after surgery
Graft Survival Rate:
The hair transplanted people can indulge in regular activities within a day’s time and are able to attend their office work within a week after the surgery.
Fresh growth of hair can be anticipated within 2-3 months post surgery after the transplanted hair falls, which can happen within 2-3 weeks. The growth becomes stable within twelve months. As per some reliable survey, if the surgery is performed by a skilled surgeon, more than 95% graft survival rate can be expected.
Massage hair with warm coconut oil an hour before washing. Take some petals of hibiscus and grind it in the mixer. Apply this paste to your hair and then rinse it. For better result you can boil a few hibiscus flowers in coconut oil. Filter this oil and use it to control hair loss and thinning, you can also use Jaborandi oil which is again an extract of hibiscus flower.