Get FREE answer to your questions
Gastric Band surgery
Gastric band surgery is commonly performed surgery executed to treat obesity. The surgery involves the fitting of a flexible silicon band, around upper segment of the stomach with the help of laproscope. It helps to reduce the volume of the stomach. This restricts the amount of food that can be eaten at a time by the patient and satisfies the hunger of the patient more promptly.
Cadiere was the foremost surgeon to insert an adjustable band through laparoscope in 1992. Earlier, Wilkinson and Peloso inserted the non- adjustable band around the higher part of the stomach by an open procedure in 1978.
Some of the celebrities who have enforced public awareness for gastric band surgery include Khaliah Ali (daughter of Muhammad Ali), Fern Britton, Brian Dennehy, Anne Diamond,
John Daly, the famous U.S. golfer. The novelty of modern adjustable band is a result of continuous, joint efforts of early initiators including Lubomyr Kuzmak and also the bio-engineers, surgeons and scientists.
The FDA has improved two types of changeable gastric bands
- Realize Band
Necessity of gastric band surgery:
The bariatric gastric band surgery is recommended to obese patients who are not capable to loose weight through cutting down the intake of food and exercise. The candidates for the surgery are obese patients who belong to the following category
- Aged among 18 to55 years, keen to follow dietary restriction program
- A body mass index(BMI) is above the standard limits of 40 or more
- A BMI of 35 or more who have certain ailments that can be recovered with weight loss such as diabetes, heart diseases, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis etc
Benefits of gastric band surgery:
- There is no necessity for long hospital stay
- The gastric band is easily fitted without big incisions, as the band is placed through a laparoscope, because of which the chance of infection of gastrointestinal track is less
- The band can be tailored and can be modified as per the condition of the patient
- The band can be detached if essential and the surgery is reversible.
- Good acceptance by a broad age group people
Risk and complication associated with gastric band surgery includes:
- Pulmonary embolism
- Blood clots and Infection
- Negative reaction to anesthesia or medication
- Stomach ulcer or gastritis
- Injury to abdominal organs
- Gastric band may slip from the fitted place
- Vomiting after consuming food
- Malnutrition risk may develop
- Inadequate weight loss
Preparation before Gastric band surgery:
- A total physical check –up is required
- Blood and urinalysis may be required
- Ultrasound of abdomen and x ray chest
- A week before the tentative schedule of surgery, consult the doctor regarding the continuation or discontinuation of your list of medicines.
- Notify smoking or alcohol consuming habit to the surgeon
- Counseling with a dietician
- Apply for leave at work place and arrange for an assistant at home.
- Do not eat or drink anything the night prior to surgery
Tips for medical tourist:
- Have an access to handicap aiding hotel room, in case the patient is a medical tourist, so as to stay comfortably after hospital discharge
Gastric band surgery after care:
After the surgery, patient may suffer from constipation for few days, which may subside within a few days. Patients must start their walking exercise regularly after reaching home.
Special precautions following surgery:
- Strictly take the medicines prescribed by surgeon regularly
- Care should be taken to keep the incision site clean and dry
- Note down the matters regarding food intake and weight loss after surgery
- Strictly pursue the diet chart in time as given by the doctor
- Carefully evade drinking carbonated drinks
- Avoid pregnancy for a time of at least 18 months after surgery
- Avoid driving until consented by the doctor
Further, more days may be needed to resume tasks that require more movements, so the decision of returning to work depends on the bodily movements involved in work.
Primarily, for first 3 to 6 months, weight loss is speedy; however this stabilizes between 12 to 18 months after the surgery. Patient may keep on losing weight for the upcoming 3 years after the surgery. Resultantly, almost all the patients are much satisfied with the outcome of the surgery.
Massage hair with warm coconut oil an hour before washing. Take some petals of hibiscus and grind it in the mixer. Apply this paste to your hair and then rinse it. For better result you can boil a few hibiscus flowers in coconut oil. Filter this oil and use it to control hair loss and thinning, you can also use Jaborandi oil which is again an extract of hibiscus flower.